Discord is used by gamers to communicate with their friends while playing games. If you too have been using Discord to interact with your friends during the game, but are not able to access the app anymore, then that’s must be agonizing for you. If you are experiencing a ‘Discord Overlay not working’ issue on your Windows 10 computer, then there are certain solutions we have come up with for you that can fix this problem once and for all.
For all those who love games, Discord must be a familiar name. It is an app, which offers communication features and services. It allows users to communicate with their Discord friends while playing a full-screen game. But, with an error like ‘Discord Overlay not working,’ it is not possible for gamers to communicate with their friends. But, there is nothing to worry about, as there are solutions to this problem, details of which you will find here below:
Solution 1- Enable Overlay in Discord
The most common reason for the issue of ‘Discord Overlay not working’ is the option of ‘in-game overlay’ being disabled. So, make sure you have not disabled this option. It should be enabled and here are the steps that can help you enable that option.
- Open ‘Discord’ and click on the ‘Settings’ icon.
- Click ‘Overlay’, which you can find on the left panel. Check if the toggle corresponding to ‘Enable in-game overlay’ is turned on.
- Click ‘Games’ from the left panel. Check if the option labeled as ‘in-game overlay’ is turned on for the game you are currently playing.
Now, you should try to run the game and see if Discord Overlay works or not. If it doesn’t, then move onto the next solution.
Solution 2- Run Discord as Administrator
You can also fix the problem by running Discord as admin. For that, you need to follow these steps:
- On your computer, if there is a shortcut of Discord, then you need to right-click on it and then, select ‘Properties’.
- A window will pop up where you need to choose the ‘Compatibility’ tab followed by checking the option labeled as ‘Run this program as admin’. Then, click ‘OK’.
- Launch Discord and run your game again to see if the error is fixed or not.
Solution 3- Disable antivirus/malware temporarily
In case, you have installed antivirus or malware, then you may encounter ‘Discord Overlay not working’ problem because third-party antivirus apps interfere with Discord on certain occasions. When you see that Discord Overlay is not running as expected, you should disable third-party apps temporarily. After that, open Discord and relaunch the game to check if the issue is fixed or not.
Solution 4 – Disable hardware acceleration in Discord
Discord has a feature named ‘Hardware Acceleration’, which you need to enable to use GPU and sound card to make Discord run smoothly. However, this feature can cause ‘Discord not working’. If the problem occurs once you turn on the ‘Hardware Acceleration’ feature, you should disable the feature and check if the error exists.
- Open ‘Discord’ followed by going to ‘Settings’.
- Click ‘Appearance’ on the left panel followed by turning off the toggle corresponding to ‘Hardware Acceleration’.
- Now, restart your game and check if the Discord works.
Solution 5- Reinstall Discord
In case, you have tried all the solutions but still facing the issue, i.e., ‘Discord not working’, then you should reinstall Discord as the last resort.
- On your computer, you need to press ‘Windows + R key’ at once to open the ‘Run’ window.
- Now, enter ‘Control’ and click ‘OK’ to go to ‘Control Panel’.
- Choose the ‘View by Category’ option followed by selecting ‘Uninstall a program’.
- A window will pop up now, so right-click ‘Discord’ followed by selecting ‘Uninstall’.
- Restart your computer now and download Discord from the website. Now, install the software.
- Open the app now, run your game and then, add it to Discord.
- You will have to enable the ‘in-game overlay’ feature for the game you are playing.
With that, the problem is resolved and you shall be able to communicate with your friends over Discord without any issue.
Should the error exist after following the aforementioned solutions, you should get in touch with experts for the most accurate assistance.
For More Details visit our Website
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – How to enable Overlay on Discord?
Answer – If you want to enable or disable the ‘Discord’ game Overlay for certain games, go to the ‘Settings’ menu followed by selecting the ‘Game Activity’ tab. Click on the ‘Monitor’ icon on the game to turn on or off the ‘Overlay’ feature. You can adjust all the settings while in-game.
Question – How to enable Discord Overlay in PUBG Mobile?
Answer – Go to ‘Discord’, then ‘Settings’ and finally ‘Games’. Delete any Pubg profiles that you see on the screen. Now, go to ‘Settings’, then ‘Overlays’ followed by setting a hotkey to remember and make sure that the Overlay is toggled on.
Question – How to run Discord?
Answer – To run Discord, you will have to go to ‘https://discord.com/new/downloads’ followed by choosing a system. Now, on your computer, select the file and double tap on it to open it. If you are using a smartphone, then go to your respective app store to download the app.
Question – How to turn off Origin Overlay?
Answer – To disable the Overlay, you need to click ‘Origin’ and then, ‘Application Settings’ within the ‘Origin’ client. Now, you need to go to the ‘In-Game’ tab and choose the ‘Origin’ there and disable it by unticking the checkbox.