Changing Steam password can be done via a PC client or browser. But, changing the password is not the main point, but protecting your Steam account is. You will be asked to enter a code that you receive in your email or on your smartphone.
A client program is required to access Steam. The main functions of the service aren’t available on the phone’s app or browser. You can’t install and run games, download screenshots, and organize broadcasts.
How to change Steam password:
- On your computer, open a client, and log in.
- From the menu bar, click the ‘Steam’ button.
- Go to the “Parameters” element and then, “Account” tab.
- In the “Security status” line, check the protection that is enabled. Make sure that the ‘Guard’ is active.
- Click on the “Edit” button.
- If Guard is disabled, type in your old and new password.
- If you select email confirmation, then you can’t change the credentials easily. You will receive a verification code in the email address that you have provided. Add the code into the client. The Guard will secure your account. Your account details will remain protected.
- If an authenticator is connected, run the app on your smartphone and type in the characters that you see on the screen.
- An email will surface in your inbox notifying you about the password change.
- Save the settings.
Steam doesn’t have a menu bar in the web browser. Not just the menu bar, but many other features are missing such as chatting with contacts. However, you can configure your profile by opening Steam in the browser.
- Open steampowered.com
- Click on “Login” and then, enter your username.
- Go to ‘About Section’ followed by the “Security” section.
- Click the link that says, “Change password”.
- If there is 2-step verification, then enter the confirmation code.
Follow the same message when trying to change the password using the Steam client.
Changing password through Phone
The password changed using the phone won’t work, as the app doesn’t provide such functionalities. The only thing you can do is detach the authenticator or view the corresponding recovery code. In case, you can’t access your computer, then you can open the Steam page on the browser of your smartphone, log into your account and go to profile settings.
If the authenticator is attached
Email verification is good, but not the best form of security. Therefore, Steam offers an application that can be used on the phone where a new key is generated after regular intervals comprising of numbers and alphabets. Enter the key if you are trying to access your account from a new device or changing profile details.
It won’t be easy to change the Steam password if you have lost your smartphone or broken it. When you activate Guard, make sure to enter a disaster recovery code. This will allow you to turn off the protection.
- Go to settings or profiles and then, click on the “Account” tab. If you have chosen the ‘Profile’ section, then find the “Protection” option.
- Click on “Guard” followed by “Remove authenticator”.
- Type in the alarm code.
Without this protection, there will be restrictions such as; you won’t be able to use the trading platform.
You can deactivate the guard when you change the password.
- Select “No access to authenticator” and follow the instructions. You are most likely to be asked to confirm the connected phone number and email address.
Get in touch with experts if you are unable to remember your Steam password or steam not working. They will guide you regarding the process of how to change Steam password in a hassle-free manner.